Labels

Monday, March 7, 2011

Doggone Good Craft!

Early this morning as I was driving I came to a screeching halt when I saw the "Estate Sale" sign conveniently located at the end of my road. Onward I went up through the canyon and look what goodie was waiting for me! This lovely little gold metal frame! It so needed a good home. Wow, oh so cute and FRENCHY!
It was a no brainer when the lady running the sale remarked that today was the second day, so everything would be half off! SOLD!

As I was cleaning up my new found treasure, I wondered what I should slip inside...a photograph? A drawing? Words of wisdom? And it came to me. Lately in my paper craft explorations I have been obsessed with silhouettes. Silhouettes of children, places, animals, scenes, backdrops, seasons, couples, you name it, there is a black and white image of it out there! So, why not your pets! Here is the simplest way to do this you will need the following materials: a frame, an image of your silhouette, black card stock, scissors and your choice of a decorative paper for the background.

1) I took the glass out of the frame and used it for a template to trace the background, which I will mount the silhouette. I kept it simple and used an old piece of sheet music, but you can go wild and use funky or retro scapbook paper or maybe even old pieces of wallpaper you might have around the house. Heck, you can probably use a crap piece of material.
2) Print out an image off your computer of what it is you would like to trace. I chose my dog Vergel. You can print an image of your children or grandchildren, Easter bunnies (after all it is just around the corner), do an anniversary card with two people kissing, use a picture of your home, pets, anything will do. No, do not panic. You do not have to print the image out on your computer. If you have a picture in your hands of what it is you want, go make a quick copy of it at the local grocery store or print shop.
3) Now, once you have the image you desire printed on paper, trace it out with a pencil. You may have to fudge a bit as I did above in the picture of my dog. I simply traced a line through the bars so I could achieve the silhouette I needed, then cut out along the line you just made.
4) Finally, (sorry no pic) with this image, trace it again on black card stock and repeat step 3. Mount inside frame and you are done! It is your artwork, you made it and it is personal!

Ta-Dah! My Vergel will always be remembered. Love it!




1 comment:

  1. That is WAY cute! I lost my kitty Luci last year. My friend Odette did a portrait of her. I blubbered like a fool when she gave it to me.

    ReplyDelete