Labels

Thursday, May 6, 2010

To LIBERTY, I just want it all!

A couple of weekends ago I came to the conclusion, that before I left NC I had to travel to the famous, twice a year extravaganza known as the Liberty Antique Festival! Story goes, that it is a sprawling venue (acres), littered with tents just bursting at the seams with one-of-a-kind, can't live without, antiques! How could I resist the temptation! Now, what do I need to do to get there?

Being a novice attendee, I called upon a friend of mine who I was sure could show me the ropes. First, she said that we needed to leave at least by 4:30 am in order to get there, park and wait in the line. Phew, I get up early, but I usually do not start my day with a two hr. tour up and around Raleigh. Anxiety fueled perseverance was coursing through my veins and ........I went.

Above, is the "golden (actually pink) ticket" to enter the premises. I held tight to it in my hand, though it slowly withered with the thick dew that surrounded us, after all we were standing in some farmer's empty field. You could see just the tops of the tents blowing in the wind and through the slats in the fence, people were trying to sneak a peek at what awaited on the other side. Finally, the horn blew and everyone marched into the tent city. This is were I would be posting the awesome pictures that I took on my new, top of the line, smarter that me, touch phone but sadly (or is it ignorantly) I am unable to download them to my email!!! Why is technology so fascinating yet frustrating?

Anyway, this is a quick look at my Liberty "loot". As you can see, there is a bit of a Halloween theme going on here. I purchased three silver trumpet vases, two vintage pumpkins, three talcum powder tins, cuff links, a Marie Antoinette mask, an old gentleman's top hat and two hands/ glove forms.
I about died when I saw the top hat and immediately knew I had to have it to place on my skeleton for Halloween. Then, I saw the mask!!!! LOVE IT! Marie Antoinette is so hot right now in all the crafting magazines. I could not believe no one had already bought it! Will it not look precious wrapped around a pumpkin?...maybe a pumpkin with a tag around the stem saying "Let them eat cake!"
These hand forms are totally WOW! Although I cannot take credit for discovering them, my friend that went with me found them after I had left, called me and asked I would be interested. The white porcelain one is labeled Paris: Extra Small and the slate gray is for forming latex gloves! You can also write in chalk on it! How cool is that?

I plan to transform the old soap tin into one of my "altered art" dolls and the gun cuff links will be the perfect accessory for a Western themed doll.
Finally, two talc tins and a vintage plastic light up jack-o-lantern. I am so inspired to start creating for Halloween!!! The trip was wonderful and has refueled my creative juices. I just want to create!!

1 comment:

  1. Holy explative!!! I hope Brooklyn can live up to Liberty!!!

    ReplyDelete