Labels

Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Little Slice of Heaven!

Coming from Texas, I have never before seen these famous cakes made here in North Carolina that consist of a ridiculous amount of multiple thin layers of cake. I guess they must bake a trillion batches of slivers of cake and precariously stack each layer. Though they are delicious, I do not intend to wait, bake and clean everything required to create such a dessert. Although, while speaking to my mother-in-law, I was describing such a cake and she recommended a similar (much easier) recipe. It is shall we say, Texas Style! The cake is made entirely of tortillas! Plus, it is a no bake!!!!! So, the following is my attempt at the recipe:

Tortilla Cake
10-12 Burrito size tortillas
4 c. Sour Cream
2 bags (11 1/2 oz.) Milk chocolate chips

Use a pie plate to trim tortillas to size. Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Add melted chocolate to 4 cups sour cream and beat until thoroughly mixed. Spread 1/2 cup mixture between tortillas to make layers. Don't get mixture too close to edges.


Icing
1 1/2c. Sour cream
1/2 c. Powdered sugar
2 pkg. dry Dream Whip

Beat ingredients until stiff peaks form. Ice cake and refrigerate 10-12 hours. Use a cake cover(not Saran Wrap) to cover. Cut small slices with a sharp knife. Decorate with chocolate curls (optional).

First, I bought the larger size tortillas, then used a 9" pie plate and trimmed around the edges with a knife (fed the excess to the dogs). Plus, I decided to use 12 tortillas because I wanted the cake to be tall enough to call it a cake and not a pie. Yikes, my had looks geriatric in this picture.




I do not own a double boiler (nor do I want to), so this is my interpretation (after googling "double boiler" on the web). Once you add the chocolate to the sour cream it turns into a wonderful type of mousse. Yum. Then, I scooped with a 1/2 cup measuring spoon the chocolate sour cream mixture and spread it between all twelve layers. It measured out exact. When it says do not get too close to the edge with the chocolate mixture, I now know why, because when you go to ice the cake it would all smear together. Not pretty! Okay, lets talk about the icing. What the heck is Dream Whip and where is it in the grocery store? Well, it is more common than you think. At the Charlie C's IGA up the road from my house it was sitting pretty on the top shelf of the baking isle. Then, the other day at Wal-Mart, not looking for it, I saw it again on the top shelf near the sugar.
Let me also discuss another issue I had with the icing. The rest of you reading this probably do not regard this as a big deal, but I am a virgin when it comes to baking/cooking knowledge. It seemed to take forever for my icing to whip itself into "stiff peaks". I guess I am totally clueless. Another side note, since it took me a remedial amount of time to whip the icing, I decided to put the cake in the refrigerator, so that the mousse would be good and firm when it came time to ice the cake (30 minutes later).


Damn, I started to cut into the cake before I documented the fruits of my labor! You get the picture. WOW!! The taste is all worth it! I was very anxious and curious to see what it tasted like. I must say it has a similarity to cheese cake, but almost ice creamy. It is delicious and you will love it! Thank you Marge for passing on the recipe!








1 comment:

  1. Well, having given birth in the great state, I like to consider myself an honorary Texan so....I am going to tackle the cake tonight for a dinner party tomorrow night. I will comment later on how it all went. Thanks for sharing the recipe Elizabeth and Marge.
    Actual Californian,
    Virtual Texan,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete