Labels

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hanging Out!

Why, this little skeleton is having a swinging good time, hanging out in my kitchen chandelier! I must admit, one of my passions is to decorate and adorn chandeliers and other light fixtures for all holidays throughout my home. They are the perfect place to hang various seasonal decor, because it is an empty void and does not require you to sacrifice any valuable surface area.


Most of what I have crafted thus far on my blog has not been very time consuming, until now. This guy did require a bit more time to embellish, as well as engineer. First, to acquire this look, immediately change out all the existing light shades. Buy new ones you might could use with a dual holiday in mind, such as red and white could be for Christmas and Valentines. Next, find little trinkets to hang from the arms of the chandelier at varying lengths. These baubles could range from glass ornaments (I used candy corn ornaments), cheap plastic spiders, small skeletons, bats or bows. The dollar store is a goldmine during the month of October. There are tons of trinkets littered all about the store. Let your imagination run wild.


Obtaining the skeleton was easy, he was given to me by a dear friend. He did in fact originate from Michael's. He started off a bit on the dull and scary side, but a can of spray adhesive and a jug of Martha Stewart glitter fixed that problem. Martha's glitter is just like her "a very good thing". Every devote crafter must have a vile of this sinful supply in there midst. My husband said and I quote, "Glitter is the herpes of the crafting world". True, though it is one STD I am willing to live with for the sake of everything looking spectacular!
Since he is virtually naked, I thought a top hat would be a good distraction from his, shall we say, parts. Paper mache is the medium in which I usually construct party hats, top hats, etc. things I cannot buy else where. Of course, if you are wearing a top hat you must have a bow tie to match. Simply knot one out of a couple of different ribbons or fabric.
Finally, the finishing touches are his serving tray and pennant. The pennant says "Bone Appetite" - Ghoulia Childs. How apropos, since the movie Julie and Julia was released this Fall and ever since I have become an avid blogger. The silver tray took a bit more time. On it are candied apples and chocolate cupcakes with green icing. All the goodies were constructed out of modeling clay and royal icing, then epoxied in place on the tray. The tray is attached by drilling two holes in the center and wired through and around his hand. Tricky, Yes. Time consuming, Yes! Worth every hour and day spent designing and fabricating, definitely Yes!

I told you nothing goes untouched in this house when it is the spooking season. Here, I quickly tied an orange glitter bow to my favorite orchid and added a bobbing hairy spider. Think of is as Charlotte (from Charlotte's Web) if spiders creep you out.



Yes, yet another place to hang all sorts of seasonal goodies is above large paintings and mirrors around your home. First, start with a good substantial base. Here, I used an awesome black, glitter grapevine garland (the very same sold at our trunk show), then draped a long strand of candy corn through it. Next the lettering. I was so fortunate to find a young lady, via blogging, who designed the "BOO" for me. Each letter is threaded with some ribbon, knotted and held into place at the back of the painting with a thumbtack. Super easy right? Oh, the mark of completion is to add a horned owl roosting at the top of the painting. Always design with the unexpected in mind! It is that added touch that people remember.

I do not know if you noticed my little party girl pumpkin doll sitting in her highchair at the dinner table. She is so petite she must use a squishy orange pumpkin for a booster seat. I dread to see Halloween nearing its end, because it means our morning coffees together are limited. I adore just gazing upon her. She too is a fab find from dear old www.etsy.com! Where all things magical and imaginative come to life.


Are your eyes playing tricks on you or is this another bedazzled chandelier? Yes! In my dining room I do have one last light fixture, that has been hit with the Halloween stick. As I instructed before, I pitched the everyday light covers and bought new ones. Although you may not be able to see from the picture, these black shades have a gold metallic lining on the inside, washing the room in a rich dim glow. The jack-o-lantern white faces were cut out of card stock and glittered. A mixture of funky bright ribbons were made into a large bow and wired to the chain at the top. The bat is hanging down by his tippy toes hoping to grab a bite for dinner!











1 comment:

  1. I love it! I am inspired for next halloween and even Christmas because of this post. As long as no MR fairies are involved I'm in!

    ReplyDelete